About 1888 Lyman Cornelius Smith agreed to sell L.C. Smith, Maker of the Baker Gun company to John Hunter, Sr., who then began construction of a new factory in Fulton, New York. The "New L.C. Smith Double Cross-Bolted Hammerless Gun" using Alexander Brown's rotary locking bolt, lock mechanism, and safety had been introduced in 1886; the Hammer Gun in 1884. Production of the Baker double and three-barrel guns ceased in 1888, while the L.C. Smith guns continued to be manufactured in Syracuse until completion of the Hunter Arms Co. factory.
Sandy Creek News, June 20, 1889
The Hunter and Comstock Arms Co., at Fulton, are pushing the building of their mammoth factory to the upmost.
Wyoming County Times, November 28, 1889
Syracuse, Nov. 20 – Lyman C. Smith has sold a controlling in the L.C. Smith gun works, of this city, manufacturers of hammerless guns, to John Hunter and his five sons, and Harry Comstock of Fulton, and the works will be moved to Fulton immediately. The new firm will be known as the Hunter & Comstock Arms company and will have the largest gun manufacturing plant in the United States.
Sandy Creek News, January 2, 1890
The Hunter & Comstock Arms company of Fulton, will hereafter be known as the Hunter Arms Company, the Hunters having bought Comstock’s interest. Comstock retains his rights in all patents taken out by him. The Hunters will make the L.C. Smith gun at their factory.
"Syracuse style" unfinished guns and parts were then shipped to the new factory in Fulton for completion, and were available until about 1892. These "transition guns" have the large convex ribs on the bottom of the receiver, squared lug, and compared to Fulton guns, finer checkering and a wider forend with a duck bill and vase shaped ebony tip. They usually had no markings on the top of the barrels, and might have Syracuse or Fulton engraving patterns .
See http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22785410 for a comparison of Syracuse style and Fulton guns, courtesy of David Williamson.