Interesting has been the surname which continues to complicate things. When I started in the 1980's it was doing a night school course led by a member of LDS and she took us on a visit to their local family history centre. No longer have the IGI we then saw, but fairly sure it showed Digory and William as Murrin. From checks a few years ago of an old (1991 version) IGI microfiche it no longer showed those entries for Digory and William so someone must have realised there was an error and started to use "Martin".
However, have some old copies I took from Family Search about 15 years ago of "IGI Individual Record"s for William, showing Digory as his father, both giving the surname as "Murin". There is another one for a son of William & Mary, John, said to be "Murrain". I know from a current on-line Parish Register, the baptism for William, showing father as Digory, gives the spelling as "Marin". Digory was originally spelt Digory but changed to Degory - it is still possible to see a dot over the "e".
Depending on which source is used, there are actually 2 versions for the on-line Register, one much neater than the other, so assume one is the actual Register and the other the BT.
Anyway, we seem to have squeezed all the pips out of things for now, and I will wait until things settle down to let me see what, variously, TNA, SoG and Cornwall archives have to say about findings so far.
Will keep you posted on any developments, but I am extremely grateful for all your help. Hope whilst it was all spinning round in your head, you didn't loose concentration and put any wallpaper upside down on your wall(s) !!
Thanks again, regards, David
« Back to index | View thread »