Re: Is it safe to bleach transferware?
Posted by Michael on August 26, 2010, 9:08 pm, in reply to "Is it safe to bleach transferware?"
Yes, you can clean (bleach is the wrong word) pottery (including transferware) with hydrogen peroxide, BUT it is a VERY tricky process and requires using 100 volume (highest strength available) peroxide, the kind you can only get from beauty supply companies. Peroxide at this concentration is very caustic and some would say dangerous, and must be used carefully, with proper protective equipment (heavy-duty chemical gloves, eye protection, etc) and in secure containers with tight-fitting lids, in well-ventilated areas. In other words, it is not for the casual user. (Especially if there are small children or pets around.) The peroxide should be used at full strength -- water only dilute is and reduces significantly the effectiveness. And chlorine bleach (such as Chlorox) should NEVER be used, either as an addition or as a substitute. If after listening to my cautions you still would like to try it, send your eMail address to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you detailed instructions. But I do urge caution. Good luck, Michael