I just want to add a note regarding the term "Leeds". The Leeds Pottery was in business 1770-1881 and made a lot of unmarked undecorated creamware as well as transfer-printed patterns in brown and in blue. Leeds did not mark all their wares which resulted in many collectors and dealers using the term "Leeds" to describe excellent quality products (particularly creamware)that were unmarked. John D. Griffin, a British researcher in the field of ceramics set out to set the record straight. In 2005 his large two volume work LEEDS POTTERY was published. 97% of the wares illustrated are either factory marked or the same as known factory marked examples. The remaining 3% have details and features which match marked examples. The illustrations show a much wider and more balanced range of products than have traditionally been attributed to this pottery.
Back to: Transferware Collectors Club Website