Some benefits I can see in the 1600 tourney format:
1) Everyone who shows up gets a chance to play. No one is completely left out.
2) One game with people who play revenge won't ruin the night. Playing multiple 100 pt games in a night would help if you happen to be the victim of a revenge game or clobbered by a low-skilled player who has no idea how to hit or set up low.
3) 100 pt games make those played against slow players more tolerable.
4) The point rewards and EOM winner determination seems fair and makes sense.
1) We tried the 100 pt first round and everyone hated it. Maybe it was the wrong time to try or maybe it would have been better liked if everyone knew they would be playing two or more games regardless how they finished in the first one. When we tried it, some people were done for the night after one quick game which was the biggest complaint about that.
2) Ensuring everyone plays the same number of games might be harder with the higher number of players - some of which are casual players who might play only a couple times per month. There's no way they can possibly play the same number of games as one who plays each day. Some people will play fewer games than others.
3) The host's job is certainly much harder. Some kind of process would have to be created for hosts to follow that take into consideration how to not have people play the same opponents all night AND how to make sure number of games played is fair (and who must sit out).
4) Was it because the 1600 tourney had the best players as to why it worked? Would it work as well for an open tourney where anyone of any rating or skill can play?
5) Limiting EOM to 4 players decreases the opportunity of people to play in this fun event. Maybe this can be mitigated if daily play can emulate what is fun about EOM.
6) Traditional TOP players already are unhappy we changed at all to our current format. This is a radical change to go to something like the 1600 tourney format, which I don't see going over well. I can see a different tourney adopting such a format and doing well with it, but already there is pressure to go back to the way things were.
I am probably more open than most to change things, but am trying to realistically present the opposing viewpoints. I still think the current format is better than the old one, and neither was perfect. The fact that you don't play anymore, Deb, even though you say you can adapt your playing style as needed to succeed in any type of game speaks volumes. The reasons you stopped playing are why we continuously lose good players, all of whom besides you don't hang out every night and share their viewpoints.
: Brian, When I hosted the 1600 tourney...my
: format was different that regular tops.
: Everyone played 3 games and some played 4
: games...100 point games and points were
: only awarded to the winner. 1 point for 1st
: and ZERO points for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. So
: even if I had extra players they got to play
: as well...maybe not to start but they played
: the next game. So you have to keep track of
: who played extra games to make it all fair
: throughout the month. You keep the games
: running one after the other you dont have to
: wait for all games to finish to start next
: game. EOM was played with top 4 on
: leaderboard.. We played as many games as it
: took for 1 player to get 2 wins. So could
: only be 2 games. But if 2nd game was a
: different winner...then you play a 3rd
: game...and if another different one won the
: game...then you play a fourth game...until
: someone wins 2 games. Hope this makes
: Good Luck,
: --Previous Message--
: The game of hearts does not take rocket
: science to learn how to play. I dont even
: play any more in Tops and really dont care
: to in the near future. I like a good game
: of low man hearts, but I can change my game
: of playing really quick. The format is 200
: for the first game so you have plenty of
: time in the first 4 hands to see how players
: are going to play the game...dump or go for
: low, revenge, or whatever you chose to call
: it. The story always is said, everyone can
: play however they chose....there are
: different skill levels etc. Some people
: dont understand when high is way high to let
: them safety moon...it drops highs score -26
: points and brings high score down so they
: dont go over. Sometimes 2nd and 3rd have to
: save the game by taking points to help high
: by not going over. With that being said,
: you have to play trust the other players
: that arent in 1st place...you will get
: low...low doesnt always get good cards every
: hand, you might not be able to get low that
: hand but lows time will come through the
: game if everyone plays every hand to get
: --Previous Message--
: I like the thought that people could teach
: others a better way to play. I don't think
: the people are very teachable though. They
: all bark at anyone who suggests they try for
: low, like you have no right to "tell
: them how to play".
: Therefore, perhaps it's a lost cause. The
: tourney with its current set of players
: plays mostly cut-throat and rarely lowman
: and that's not changing any time soon.
: --Previous Message--
: I read this with interest, as I have noticed
: the immaturity of players voicing off in the
: lobby intimating that they are such amazing
: players and others shouldn’t be playing. I
: certainly am not a great player, but I do
: know the strategies of a 3v1 hearts game to
: get low. Dang, I had to in the yahoo
: myleagues…and went through a huge learning
: curve!!!! However, there, many of the
: excellent players would give me tips and
: websites to read in order that I understood
: the ways of passing in order to get low. It
: was not their intent to belittle players, as
: I have seen recently in Tops, but to allow
: players to grow. Everyone started as a
: I had 2 games recently where one player
: zapped me as I waited to get low. He told me
: I shouldn’t have done that.!!! Apart from
: being totally shocked, and unable to give
: him a biff on the nose…I realized that some
: just don’t understand the game.
: Last night I applaud Frank of hearts ( think
: that’s his nic). He was the unintentional
: target of some questionable play by a weaker
: player, but he took it all with humour and
: without anger. However, in order for some to
: gain more insight into the game and the
: mistakes they make, it would be great for a
: player in the game to give some positive
: tips as to what they might have done
: For me, it isn’t who comes in first or
: second. I really don’t care if I lose if I
: have had a good game.
: I would like to see more respect from the
: ‘so called’ experts…and maybe through IM or
: email there could be some constructive
: dialogue between players.
: Unfortunately there are always a few in
: every league I have played in that play to
: win as if their very life depended on the
: fact that they come in first. All I can say
: is…..Grow up and enjoy the league for what
: it is……a place to have some fun and enjoy a
: game of hearts with a group of people with
: the same interest.
« Back to index