Your story more likely represents a basic infection of you expander. "Flips" and "inflammatory reactions" were probably very little of the actual story. 900cc of fluid and Staph aureus in it is a true infection where I come from.
With that said, it is important for you to base your decision on these data points so that you don't fear reconstruction for potentially invalid or unfounded reasons. You could probably undergo reconstruction with your own tissue and do fine but if you still want to abandon that path then waiting for a small window of time before skin resection is ok, no reason to wait more than a couple of months......won't change the operation to wait any longer.
These are just my observations based on the story you describe, not having access to the records or a visit with you leave me otherwise unable to make any diagnosis or definitive recommendation, so a followup with your doc or a second opinion may help flesh out the plan for you.
Hope this helps,