The People's Forum
[ Post a Response | The People's Forum ]
How much motivation to Palace and Viera have to beat us?
Posted by philatio
on May 18, 2022, 9:08 am
In basic terms they will be playing their second away game in 5 days, are 13th in the table and have their last game of the season 3 days later at home to a fragile Man U. Of course every team wants to win every game but surely if you said to Viera, the Palace Team and Palace fans 'if you can only win one of those two games, which would it be?' 99% of them would say the Man U game unless they had some irrational hatred of EFC and wanted us to go down.
I can't imagine there will be a throng of Palace fans travelling up to Liverpool to support them on a thursday night. And having beaten us comfortably twice this season there isn't any beef between the clubs from a Palace perspective .... that might have been different if we beat them in the Cup.
Some might say that Viera has a personal rivalry with Lampard from his playing days, but Lampard played under Viera in New York and they seemingly got along well. I'd also argue that Viera has more of a dislike for Man Utd as a club than Lampard as an individual. With Man U not having played for two weeks and possibly under the early influence of new manager Ten Haag they are likely to be a dangerous opponent. So if you are Patrick Viera do you go full strength last weekend and then again on Thursday and Sunday or do you make some changes.
As I say, Palace will set out to win the game as they are a solid professional team under Viera, but surely they won't be going all out to beat us like it means something and may even rotate a little to improve their chances of winning their final home match of the season.
- Palace cd with last 2 games move 2-3 places up - each place worth £2.2m that's not nothing Nt - Still Feeling Blue May 18, 2022, 1:09 pm
- I still think our best bet for survival is Brentford beating or at least... - Ed Canada May 18, 2022, 1:06 pm
- The chance to send a bigger club down is motivation for some. n/t - DT May 18, 2022, 10:40 am
- Whatever team they put out, they'll want to beat us - Ezy May 18, 2022, 10:13 am
- I think you make some good points re: their team selection, but whoever the field will try and win.. - Ov May 18, 2022, 9:25 am
- It prob comes down to our incompetence / luck-Brentford would have folded but saw a chance to win Nt - still feeling blue May 18, 2022, 9:15 am
- How much motivation *DO Palace etc .... (nt) - philatio May 18, 2022, 9:09 am