I disagree re. Gomes. I reckon he is good enough. Weíve already seen what he can do when he was partnered with Gueye. He looked like a Rolls Royce of a player at times. The question is whether he can produce those sorts of performances consistently week in and out. And that is admittedly a doubt. Definitely one to keep for squad strength though. Personally, Iíd like to see an energetic, technically decent ball carrying midfielder added to our options in the middle.
Doesnít sound like Ancelotti sees that as a priory though going on recent news stories.
Iím not gonna jump on his back now on the basis of one poor performance, but I still think we need to go into next season with Godfrey plus one other (with pace) if we want to progress.
Keane is just too slow and immobile to play in any sort of high line. Son did him down his side with absolute ease early in the second half (forcing Pickford to save with his chest at the near post); that was a more indicting moment than the goals, for me (as those are errors that will happen every so often), as itís a physical failure that we just canít fix.
I like him and heís had a good season. Heís done a lot better than I gave him credit for. But I donít see the future in him. With Holgate (who has clearly regressed but has undoubted attributes) and Branthwaite in the wings, youíd think one of Mina or Keane would have to be sold IF we bring in a new first choice centre back this summer.
I donít think we learnt much we didnít know today tho.
- We need a right back to allow Godfrey to move inside. Looks like thatís going to be Aarons.
- We need a quality, pacy right midfielder. It ainít Iwobi and it shouldnít be Coleman.
- We need another option up top.
- Kingís not good enough but he shows what a difference pace makes.
- Central midfield is crucial. Having a base of Allan and Davies (whoís hugely improved) was key. We may need someone else as we canít rely on Gbaminís fitness and Gomes just isnít good enough.
- James is everything to this team.
if you're a Keane fan and some see him as our player of the year.
I agree with you, he is a liability as there's a mistake a game in him. Hopefully Carlo has a plan to bring in a strong centre-half who will command the defence.