A little trip down memory lane...
Posted by Carlos
on May 26, 2020, 8:18 am
My post yesterday morning seemed to produce a good deal of disapprobation. That took me back a few years.
Plenty of snide or patronising or obscene comments came my way during the 2016 referendum campaign, and a lot worse. At that time I tried to argue my case politely, but the group think was very strong, albeit not unanimous. The words simpleton, cu nt and cockwomble were liberally employed towards me for holding an honest, principled political position.
Heigh-ho, let them slag me off, I thought, letís wait and see what the result says. When it was announced I looked on here but I didnít say a word, not a word. I didnít like to intrude on private grief. (I Iikewise kept my counsel during the Remainer parliamentís long attempts to kill Brexit.)
The Remainer media see one last chance to reverse or neuter Brexit, by doing down Cummings and thereby weakening Johnson. That is a perfectly legitimate political aim. But the double standards on show are a disgrace. Labour MPs and Ministers can attend birthday parties, picnics and (sadly) funerals and no one on here raises an eyebrow. (And not a peep from Starmer.) Photographers and journalists are cheek by jowl in their desperation to interrogate Cummings, yet not a dicky bird is heard. The PMís adviser tries to protect his child and all hell breaks loose.
This affair is entirely political. The mob are pretending to feel concern for public health, but they are hypocrites.
It is not even certain that Cummings broke any rules. If he has done so, he should go. But to harass the manís young family with blaring broadcasts about Covid funerals - at his family home - well, I canít find adequate words. Itís pathetic, bullying behaviour.
And it doesnít work, either. It puts people off. Yesterday Cummings looked more credible than the journalists asking the questions.
How many defeats does the Left have to suffer before the message sinks in that bullying people and slagging them off does not produce victory?
When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, said Socrates. So, too, yesterday. (ďAn absolute bag of jizzĒ - charming.)
Anyway, thatís me for a while. Iím taking a break from this place until this lockdown is lifted.
Have a nice summer.
#### them. We're boss.
- Sorry youíre taking a break but the idea DC was protecting his child is a nonsense... - Robin May 26, 2020, 1:41 pm
- Every time I get dragged into posting on politics - Beechside May 26, 2020, 12:42 pm
- Sound. See you. NT - MikeJ May 26, 2020, 12:41 pm
- You have more supporters on here than you think. NT - MarkE May 26, 2020, 12:35 pm
- The issue is not at all about Brexit..... - PaulC May 26, 2020, 12:27 pm
- and when you're in a hole, stop digging.... - Crosby Blue May 26, 2020, 12:18 pm
- "This affair is entirely political" - you are so completely wrong nt - As May 26, 2020, 11:47 am
- F*** me, the right are a bunch of crybaby snowflakes arenít they? You won, get over it! - Ponomis May 26, 2020, 11:02 am
- I have a problem with your assignation of who/what constitutes 'the left' nt - manimal May 26, 2020, 10:52 am
- Socrates....now there was a player. That goal against Italy.nt - topcat May 26, 2020, 10:47 am
- so - Col May 26, 2020, 10:38 am
- If you really think this is about Brexit, well that's on you - Ezy May 26, 2020, 10:14 am
- That's not my experience. I put my view forward about continued EU membership and it wasn't shouted - stanleypark May 26, 2020, 10:13 am
- Carlos - Vertwijveld van Kent May 26, 2020, 9:58 am
- 'Cummings looked more credible'. No more to be said. nt - Jonathan Gard May 26, 2020, 9:53 am
- It's not about Brexit for Douglas Ross (a Brexit supporter)... - T-t May 26, 2020, 9:50 am
- Re: A little trip down memory lane... - Sid_Ebay May 26, 2020, 9:43 am
- Thank you for explaining my anger to me. - Mill May 26, 2020, 9:24 am
- Best wishes to your mum and you all. nt - Brentwood Blue May 26, 2020, 12:43 pm
- My best wishes to your family. Thank you for sharing this. Nt - topcat May 26, 2020, 10:51 am
- I hope you mum recovers soon nt - Col May 26, 2020, 10:42 am
- So sorry to hear this. Wishing a full and speedy recovery for your mum.nt - Ezy May 26, 2020, 10:15 am
- Oh, man... Hope you mum recovers soon, and you get to see her - Vertwijveld van Kent May 26, 2020, 10:07 am
- THIS POST SHOULD BE REQUIRED READING. Much love to you and your family. u. nt - Jonathan Gard May 26, 2020, 9:56 am
- Exactly. Hope your mum is doing as well as can be... - PabloMc2 May 26, 2020, 9:31 am
- Re: A little trip down memory lane... - Turf May 26, 2020, 9:17 am
- These are emotive divisive issues for sure, and I'm sorry you feel you have to do this.... - PabloMc2 May 26, 2020, 9:16 am
- I dont agree about Cummings - chris78 May 26, 2020, 9:10 am
- Carlos.... - Scotblue May 26, 2020, 9:01 am
- That's the absolute truth Carlos, well said. I hope your break isn't too long. nt - evercelt May 26, 2020, 9:00 am
- Genuinely, genuinely sorry if that's the case ... - bobcherry May 26, 2020, 8:44 am
- Cummingís pants on fire - notbadforabinman_com May 26, 2020, 8:43 am