Finally, back to attack the last remaining custom-mods - and very stubborn ones they've been, too: the bottoms of the FAB-100 bombs, loaded in the vertical-drop box:
Click on Image to Enlarge
Two earlier attempts - one involving small straws, and another using resin castings, made from them - had both failed, so I resorted to glueing in brass rings (top), cut from ends of tubing. Inside these, fins were fashioned of thin sheet styrene, augmented/corrected with superglue putty and checked with silver paint (bottom). Although not as fine as the straws (which were probably about perfectly in scale), these had the inestimable advantage of not popping off, nor disintegrating!
At this point, very close to completion - and also consumed by numerous final details - I neglected to take further pics until she was all but entirely finished:
Click on Image for FULL RES
Including display base (about which I had also been pondering/experimenting for some time) featuring a sinking IJN patrol boat (in 700-scale). The stand is not yet completed: I'm going to mold its basic structure for casting resin copies, before adding delicate fittings - PE etc.. On the aircraft I completely re-did the paint job, whose Tamiya Gloss Aluminum
(TS-17) had taken quite a beating from extensive handling. Although I had sprayed the aluminum with clearcoat before adding the sponge-splotches, this paint job cannot be sealed properly, afterwards - the metal is glossy and green is flat - and so must simply not be directly touched, once painted!
Here the aircraft is seen completed, except for dry-fitted propellers and some minor paint touchup. I just took a bunch more pics, which I'll post shortly...!