If you are under this age please leave the board.
Luton Outlaws disclaims all liability for such content to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Any potentially libellous comments that might jeopardise the future of this messageboard will therefore be deleted, and the person posting them will receive a ban.Enjoy.
- Loose language: time for a rant
- this morning, a supposed financial expert on Radio 4 referred to "damp squids" (well, of course squids should be damp, as they live in the sea - what he should have said was "damp squibs", i.e. wet fireworks)
- then the dishevilled haystack appeared before the Covid enquiry and couldn't pronounce the word "you" (it's "yer" as far as he's concerned)
- I think I'll go crazy if I once more hear Liz Truss or Suella say "reckonise" (there's a "g" in the word, for goodness sake)
- and then the blessed Suella apparently invented a new political party in Parliament the other day: "the Conservaparty".
It's bad enough that the so-called "Conservatives" are not conserving anything, but seemingly trying to destroy everything traditional about the UK, but I'm fed up with the destruction of the English language.
And don't get me started on "appealing" something, which is American misuse: in Britain, you traditionally appeal AGAINST something.
As Marshall McLuhan correctly said, "the medium is the message" - or should that be changed nowadays to "the media ARE the message"? (For anyone who didn't study Latin, "medium" is the singular of the plural "media".)
That feels better - rant over (for now).
The posts made on this board are the opinions of the people posting them and do not always reflect the opinion of the board administration.