Sunday April 25, 2021
RULES - READ CAREFULLY
1. Competition is open to all members in good standing of the Organization (the LCSCA, or the PGCA) they represent. Updated Membership rosters will be available at the both the LCSCA and PGCA booths inside the shared LCSCA/PGCA display tent for membership confirmation; and new member applications will also be available at both booths for those individuals wishing to join, or renew a membership to allow that individual to represent the Organization of his/her choice in the Hammer Gun Event competition.
2. Members holding joint memberships in both the LCSCA and PGCA must choose ONE Association to represent in the competition; and will do so at the time of registration. Scores recorded by anyone who has registered, and participated for both Organizations during the Hammer Gun competition will be disqualified; HOWEVER, a dual membership holder may compete in the Hammer Gun Challenge for a different Association than the Association which that member represented in the Challenge Cup Event.
3. Hammer Gun Event entrants are not required to actually own a shotgun of the make related to the Organization they are representing; but are required to SHOOT with a hammer gun manufactured by the maker of the Organization they represent. Therefore, guns may be borrowed for use during the Hammer Gun Event competition, and all members who wish to participate in the Hammer Gun Challenge are encouraged to make arrangements to borrow a Smith or Parker shotgun to use.
4. Adult professional shooters (men and women), or an adult receiving a sponsorship/s in any form from dealers, industry, or any like organization/s are not allowed to compete in this event. An adult is defined as anyone aged 18 years or older.
1. Participants are required to use only those double shotguns manufactured by the maker represented by the Collectors Association to which they belong (i.e., L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms/Marlin for LCSCA; or Parker/Remington for the PGCA).
2. Participants may use any exposed-hammer model or grade, and or gauge/bore size LC Smith or Parker shotgun originally manufactured by those respective companies. Reproductions or modern/imported guns marketed under these famous trade names are prohibited for use in this Event.
3. Modified and restored guns are allowed, including guns with a stock replacement or alterations, recoil pads, shortened or lined barrels, mono-blocked or sleeved barrels, screw-in chokes, etc. Guns used with relined barrels must be equipped with barrel liners of the same gauge in which the gun was originally shipped if the barrels of that gun, when manufactured, had been “fluid” steel.
4. Chamber inserts and gauge reducers (Chamber-Mates, etc.) and/or full-length barrel inserts with gauge reducers are acceptable only for use in those L.C. Smith and Parker hammer guns that were originally manufactured and shipped with Twist or Damascus barrels.
5. Shooters using guns equipped with screw-in chokes can do so, but such chokes may not be changed once competition has commenced. Participants using guns equipped with screw-in chokes may not change choke tubes once the competition has begun.
6. The wearing of Eye and Ear protection is required of all competitors; and all ammunition used during any venue must be loaded with size 7 1/2 shot or smaller in conformance with insurance requirements in place at the Deep River Sporting Clays complex.
Hammer Gun Challenge Event
1. Registration for the Challenge Event will take place inside the LCSCA/PGCS Exhibition tent where the registrar will have on hand a current member roster for both organizations. At registration each participant will declare the name of the Organization he/she is representing, and the participants name will be checked to the appropriate member roster to verify member status. Those participants, whose membership is verified as current, will then be allowed to register for the event. Participants whose name is not on the active member roster will be advised to return to the LCSCA/PGCA booth where they will take appropriate action to 1) renew their membership, 2) join the organization of their preference, or 3) clear any issues that may have prevented their name from appearing on the active member roster. Once that issue is resolved, that member will be given a slip indicating his membership is current; which slip is then presented to the registrar for registration completion.
LCSCA and PGCA members will shoot and qualify utilizing the same mixed-squads format used in the Challenge Event, with the name of each participant’s Organization noted on the registration form at the time of sign-up. Participants will be assigned to a squad based on the order of their registration; and if an individual wishes to shoot with a partner or shoot with friends or as a group, all must be registered simultaneously. Again, participants must register to represent only one Organization. Squadding and registration shall commence Friday morning (April 23, 2021) in conjunction with Challenge Event sign-ups. Sign-ups will continue until the beginning of the Hammer Gun Challenge Sunday morning, April 25, 2021 at 8:30 AM; the final day of the Southern Side x Side Championships. Given Event time constraints, all participants are STRONGLY encouraged to register as early as possible; and sign-ups will conclude when the last squad registered has completed shooting.
2. All Hammer Gun Challenge participants will pay an entry fee of $10 at registration and verification of Membership status; with all proceeds from those entry fees to be divided between the two Organizations according to the number of members from each Organization.
3. Hammer Gun Challenge target fees are $20.00 per 30 targets and may be paid directly to the shooting venue operator at the “Dove Field”; or purchased in advance at the Deep River operations office.
4. Participants will be squadded at registration for their approximate shooting time; and the first squad will begin shooting at 8:30 AM Sunday morning April 25. Participants should be at the Dove Field venue 15-20 minutes prior to their scheduled shooting time or risk an alternative time slot being unavailable should they fail to report at their appointed time.
5. Practice shooting will be available (but limited by time constraints) at the Dove Field 5-stand venue beginning all day Thursday (April 22), for early arrivals; and Friday (April 23) and Saturday (April 24) until approximately 10:30 AM. Practice rounds are always available on a first-come-first served basis. Shooters may sign up for ONLY ONE PRACTICE ROUND AT A TIME, and may not place their name in rotation for another practice round until such time as they have completed shooting their first time through the course. Tickets for practice targets may be purchased directly from the venue operator, or purchased at the Deep River operations office; and target fees for each practice round will be $20 for 30 clays. Target fees are NOT included within the $10 Hammer Gun Challenge entry fee.
6. Course of fire for the Hammer Gun Challenge will be as follows: THIRTY (30) TARGETS fired as One (1) Report Pair and Two (2) True Pairs from each station. All traps will be thoroughly re-set prior to commencement of the Hammer Gun Challenge so that the “field of play” is leveled for all participants.
7. Participants are allowed one gun malfunction during the event with the opportunity to re-shoot any targets lost. Referees will verify any malfunction while the shooter maintains control of his gun with the gun pointed in a safe direction; all referee decisions will be final. Any further gun malfunctions will result in a target/s scored as “Lost”. Note: failing to cock a hammer prior to calling for a target/s does not qualify as a gun malfunction.
8. The winning Hammer Gun Team will be crowned by determining the top 10 individual shooter scores from each organization; then tabulating the combined total number of broken targets. The team with the highest combined total of targets scored broken will be declared Winner of the 2021 Hammer Gun Challenge. In the event of a tie between the LCSCA and PGCA, the scores of the 11th place shooters from each Organization will be compared to determine the winning Team. Should the Teams still be tied afterwards, those scores recorded by the 12th place shooters will be compared to determine the winning Team; and so on until a tie is broken.
TIE SCORES FOR HIGH GUN AWARDS
The Hammer Challenge (TOP GUN) Award will be presented to the shooter with the highest individual score in the Hammer Gun Challenge Event based on the 30 target presentation. In the event of a tie score, weather and time constraints permitting; a shoot-off shall be held at station three to determine the Top Gun winner. Representatives from both the LCSCA and PGCA will confer with the 5-Stand operator to determine the course of fire; and all participants are strongly encouraged to wait for tabulation of final Hammer Gun Event scores to learn if their participation may be required in a tie-breaker shoot-off. Should time constraints or weather conditions preclude a shoot-off, ties will be resolved via the reverse long run scoring method; i.e., the longest string of targets scored broken counting from the last target presented. In the event that any award is contested, representatives from each Association will confer to determine the winner and their decision shall be final.
Ties for the Second Place award will be resolved based on the results of a shoot-off as described above; and should a shoot-off be required, said shoot off shall also be held at station three; and conducted under the same parameters as noted above for the Top Gun award. Should time constraints or weather conditions preclude a shoot-off, ties will be resolved via the reverse long run scoring method; i.e., the longest string of targets scored broken counting from the last target presented. In the event that any award is contested, representatives from each Association will confer to determine the winner and their decision shall be final.
AWARDS and SCHEDULE
List of Awards:
Team Trophy: The Hammer Gun Challenge Team Trophy
Individual Trophies: Top Gun and Runner Up
The Hammer Gun Challenge Team trophy and both individual shooter awards will be presented at the conclusion of the Hammer Gun Challenge Event on April 25 at the LCSCA/PGCA Exhibition tent.
***Please note that RST will not be selling shells at the Southern Side by Side***