Rocky Mountain Oysters
Posted by Re-Tired on 1/28/2020, 9:48 am
Rocky Mountain Oysters |
• 2 lbs bull testicles (calf, lamb, sheep,
or turkey testicles can also be used)
• 2 tablespoons salt
• 1 tablespoon vinegar
• 1 cup flour
• 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
• 1 cup red wine
• garlic powder
• bottled hot sauce
• cooking oil (for frying) or fat (for
• Split the tough skin-like muscle that
surrounds each "oyster" (use a sharp knife). You
can also remove the skin easily if the meat is
frozen and then peeled while thawing.
• Soak in a pan of salt water one hour;
• Transfer to a large pot and add enough
water to float the meat.
• Add the vinegar to the pot.
• Parboil, drain and rinse.
• Let cool and slice each oyster into 1/4
inch thick ovals.
• Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of
sliced oyster to taste.
• Combine flour, cornmeal and some garlic
powder to taste.
• Roll each slice into flour mixture.
• Dip into milk.
• Roll again into flour mixture.
• Dip into wine.
• (repeat the procedure for a thicker
• Fry in hot oil or fat seasoned with the
bottled hot sauce to taste (be careful, it will
sizzle when you add the hot sauce); fry until
• Drain on paper towels.
• Serve with cocktail sauce if desired.