1. Get a packet of cigarette papers for roll-up ciggies.
2. Draw the shape of the flag with a very sharp pencil. If you make the shape a slight lozenge rather than a rectangle, it makes it easier to get a realistically drooping flag. Extend the pencil lines well beyond the edges of the flag.
3. Paint the design using a tiny brush and a very steady hand. You can overlap the edges of the flag shape, as the extended pencil lines will show you where the edges are. I tend to use Vallejo or MIG acrylics.
4. Turn the paper over and paint the other side. The pattern will show through from the front.
5. Repeat stages 2 to 4 until you have a good result.
6. Cut out with a sharp scalpel blade, following the extended pencil lines. Crinkle the flag and stick to the mast or halliard using your favourite glue for paper,
7. Sit back, admire your work, and start breathing again!!!