Old Olde English Bulldogge
x.x.x.x | Message modified by user JoeA October 6, 2012, 8:02 pm
Posted by Joe A
on October 6, 2012, 7:09 pm
Hi Everyone. Not sure where to start... I have an Olde English Bulldogge (Leavitt blood lines, from Standing Stones Kennel) named Indie, that is over 15 years old now. She's undoubtedly losing steam these days. She's deaf, has a hard time getting around (osteoarthritis in hips/lower back), gets tired/winded easily, but otherwise seems to be doing ok. She survived bloat & torsion (D&V) surgery about two and a half years ago, has been across the US twice, tolerated our two children that are 8 and 4, lived on the East Coast, the West Coast, and back to the East Coast. The dog is a trooper... I really have no idea how she is still alive other than sheer stubbornness. Even though I almost lost her back in 2010 to the bloat & torsion, and a few scares since then, I am not prepared for her to go... and I don't think anything will help prepare me... and I'll just leave that at that. Health-wise, she checks out well except for a red blood cell count (hematocrit) that has been slowly dropping over the last couple of years. It recently reached the low end of what would be considered normal range. Vet thinks that there is not much that can be done that would be viable given her age... I tend to agree. Also, some weight loss over roughly the same time frame. She did lose her spleen during the bloat surgery, so maybe that's a couple pounds there. lol. These days, she's about 62 pounds, where she used to weigh about 70-72 (ideal weight). Bottom line, she doesn't appear to be in any pain, is as stubborn as always, and is happy to see me every day when I come home... nope, she can't hear, but is always up within 5-10 minutes of me getting home.
I just wanted to share our story with the community!
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Marian October 15, 2012, 12:50 pm
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Joe A October 13, 2012, 11:03 am
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Carol M October 12, 2012, 8:44 pm
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Altajoe October 12, 2012, 11:23 am
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - jmp October 8, 2012, 1:53 pm
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Marie October 8, 2012, 8:47 am
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - annelies October 7, 2012, 1:26 pm
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - FREEDOMBULLS October 7, 2012, 3:23 am
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Laure October 7, 2012, 3:08 am
- Re: Old Olde English Bulldogge - Joe A October 6, 2012, 8:01 pm