Last minute theme
Posted by Kathy M. in CO on August 2, 2020, 6:29 pm
Hey, I actually did something and took photos!! We drove up past Laramie WY today just to go see some rocks! LOL These are Stromatolites, and are approximately 2.1 BILLION years old. These are fossils of cyano-bacteria that are actually responsible for the earth even having oxygen! They existed on the border of an inland see and have now been pushed up to an elevation of over 10,000 ft. Stromatolites still exist today, thought they are extremely rare.
Anyway, Maya decided to come along and take some photos:
Here you can see just how big they are. There are areas where there are even larger concretions, but these are super cool.
And taking her own photo:
The bacteria would grow in layers growing ever taller to reach the sunlight. The layers are super easy to see here.
Kathy M. in CO. The geology dork
- Last minute theme - Kathy M. in CO August 2, 2020, 6:29 pm
« Back to index | View thread »
- Wonderful looking place and great photo's! - Saucy Suwi August 7, 2020, 6:27 am
- Oh wow! I'd love to see those! Great photos too, Kathy. - Donna L August 3, 2020, 2:58 pm
- These are really cool. I would love to see them in person. - Donna In OR August 3, 2020, 10:02 am
- wow, I'd love to see that! - Queli August 3, 2020, 5:44 am
- Wow these are amazing pics. Thank you for sharing. - Carine August 2, 2020, 11:52 pm
- It look like she had fun. - maywong August 2, 2020, 6:51 pm