1250 SCALE MESSAGE BOARD
[ Post a Response | 1250 SCALE MESSAGE BOARD ]
Re: Modified Seapower - For Bruce Gordon
I would be very interested in these as well. One thing I like about the GQ3 rules is a better understanding of hit locations and subsequent special and/or increased damage. Straight SP rules always seemed to make special hits a rarity, at least in my experience. GQ3 also allows smaller caliber weapons to hit larger ships and inflict damage where appropriate and give something like a soft kill, ala USS South Dakota and Hiei at Guadalcanal.
Hi Bruce. It took me a while to succinctly capture the mods we have, and this is not a full list. We use the Ship Values Directories and the Shell Damage & Penetration charts. In addition:
- All movement and firing is simultaneous, so we write movement and firing orders (with post-movement range estimates to the target) in advance.
- We use circular segments of various sizes marked in knots to better regulate movement.
- We hold shot patterns over the target at the previously estimated range to determine hits, including strays, friend or foe. As the range to target shortens, the shot pattern is slid back towards the firing ship a certain distance to represent the shallow trajectory of the incoming shells. This catches any shells that would have initially been considered Ďoverí to be possible hits (if they track back over a ship). I have never seen this done anywhere else. This also eliminates a lot of dice rolling. We only roll dice for possible special damage.
- We track the path of torpedoes by putting tape down on the floor where they were fired from. The angles of the spread are secretly recorded when the tape goes down. After movement, the torpedo tracks are checked. If a torpedo tracks over a ship (friend or foe) it's a possible hit. Given that the models are 7.5 times over-scale, the player must still roll a '1' on a 6-sided die to score a hit.
- We have an expanded special damage table.
Iím not sure of the origin of these mods. Some may have been borrowed from other rule sets, although I havenít seen them anywhere else. The mods date back to at least í82, as I was using them when I played with buddies using 1:2400ís.