I am no longer...
...very relevant, but we managed to participate in a few very good NYC shows--at least in terms of numbers. San Diego certainly has much to recommend it in terms of what can be seen and done. Chris's place has lots of models and is probably far less expensive. But the real problem is getting other dealers and producers to attend. We used to make "purchases" for the show that was our way of enticing dealers and collectors. It could cost quite a bit ($15K-$25K+), but this helped fund people's trips. Peter, Carlo, Rudi, and other makers would come over, and we knew we would eventually get a fair return on investment in the long run. But this is an expensive way to do business, and one has to take some on initial expenses and debt. I am not sure this would work in the present climate because it seems that attendance has been very poor despite some exemplary enticements. Our density of collectors relative to the size of our nation is the primary difficulty to overcome. However, if folks knew Rudi, Egbert, Carlo, Peter, and others were showing their models and would be on hand...it might make a difference. Just an idea. I think the meals also helped, as did the venue. I mean, NYC is a rush all by itself, as is San Diego! Those were some good days, but taking a risk with the funding needed is problematic. It today's market, it might not be such a great idea--but models do not rot. They can still sell years out, although sitting on a big debt load is no fun. Yeah, I would probably try it again, if I were a dealer and had some funds at hand. But is it stands, I'll never see my good friends again. Yet I am actually in the process revitalizing some models now that would be a definite attraction! Too bad I don't have any money. Ah, there's always a hitch.
We're glad Harald and the NORCAL group will be discussing this event, which we're tentatively planning for October, 2020. I say "tentatively" since nothing has been officially decided yet. Whether it happens or not depends on the interest of collectors in these events and their willingness to show up.
A week ago, I posted a response to Joe DeCavage's inquiry on any meetings scheduled for this year. We're studying two options, San Diego and Claremont, CA. I asked for input on location preference or other thoughts from the readers of this forum. To my disappointment NOT A SINGLE REPLY was received.
Maybe folks are away on vacation or don't tune in to the message board all that often or don't scroll down far enough to read messages they may have missed. Maybe they no longer participate in the hobby- certainly age and infirmity catch up with many of us over the years. Maybe it's indifference. Certainly attendance at these events has fallen off over the years, though most who do attend enjoy them and can't wait for the next one. In any event, a critical point is approaching when we must decide if we continue to plan for the next meeting or not.
So on behalf of the SMSC, I'm asking the community once again to respond. Do you want another meeting or don't you? Do you prefer San Diego or Claremont or another location? If you prefer another location, which one? Remember, the organizers of these events are few in number and we're spread very thin. If you're interested in helping organize these or any other events or serving on our Board (elections are held yearly), please respond!
Once more, we're eagerly awaiting your input, so post a reply!
For the SMSC...
John. Olsen, Executive Director
Message Thread | This response ↓|
- SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - John Olsen 8/27/2019, 2:23 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Tom Stockton 9/9/2019, 6:35 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Dave Kimble 9/4/2019, 6:10 am
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - DavidO 8/30/2019, 4:06 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Bob Wiringa 8/29/2019, 2:50 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - BILL Long, Northern VA 8/29/2019, 8:25 am
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Don Andrews 8/28/2019, 9:05 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - George Isham 8/28/2019, 7:29 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - doug Knowlton 8/28/2019, 1:54 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Jim Davis 8/28/2019, 1:02 pm
- My Two Cents from the Dealer Perspective - Chris Daley 8/28/2019, 10:55 am
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Robert K. Liu 8/28/2019, 9:29 am
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Kevin Stewart 8/28/2019, 6:59 am
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Mark 8/28/2019, 6:54 am
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - Bruce Gordon 8/27/2019, 9:01 pm
- Re: SMSC 2020 West Coast meeting - PhilW 8/27/2019, 3:46 pm
- I am no longer... - George Elder 8/27/2019, 3:33 pm
« Back to index