[ Post a Response | The Meeting Place for Survivors ]
HER2 Status - Frustrated
Posted by Christine P. on October 8, 2015, 6:51 am
User logged in as post
When I was diagnosed 3/17/15 my HER2 was tested using IHC. It came back positive. I switched oncologists shortly after. She likes the FISH test and retested me with a negative result. Because of the different results she used a third test (can't remember the name). That one also gave me a negative result. So they treated me negative, I did 4AC, 12 taxol, had a lumpectomy with a bilateral mastectomy the week later. I went in to see my radiologist on Tuesday and I'm set to start radiation on 10/19. The good news is all my scans are clear, and I'm almost done - right? Not so fast...2 hours later my oncologist calls to say please come in today. Apparently they did another FISH HER2 test after my lumpectomy and it came back positive. She is thinking that I should now do Herceptin for a year along with some Purjeta maybe? I know there are some positives in this.....the targeted drugs will zap any lurking HER2 cells that need it, but come on! I could barely hold it together emotionally this long. I don't know if this means a delay in radiation...I'd like to get it over with first. My oncologist is consulting with other professionals, and I read that inconclusive HER2 results happen in about 5% of BC patients, but I feel lost. Called a big cancer center, thinking of a second opinion. My oncologist is well known, and I do trust her, I just feel I should be doing something. What do you think? Help please!
Back Home to Breast
Cancer On-line Support Group