Due to me personally fixing and testing some stuff, I picked the wrong ROM and have overwritten the save states for easy reference, sorry.
Since I am replaying it, I'll try to be more careful now and or write down specific offsets.
- First Dialog of Raditz > typo: 'has came' > 'has come';
- Some text goes outside the box and occasionally over 2 lines. Needs a line-break.
- All heroes have US Funimation spelling in this version. In this case 'Kakarotto' (Japanese spelling) should be 'Kakarot' (US Funimation Spelling).
- [A story about a Namekian Toad]
After you've fought Dodoria you go to another part of Namek. In the center of this map is a building with a Namekian. He will give some dialog about Freeza being on Nakem, etc.
Here's the thing: When you talk to him again Gohan's text box is completely empty and He responds with "I can't help you." Why? I'll tell you.
This Namekian is actually a quest-giver. He wants a red and green scouter. But nothing in the ingame dialog suggests that.
After you give him a red and green scouter he will give you a 'Namekian Toad' and a 'Piccolo card'. The Namekian Toad can be used against Captain Ginyu when he tries to switch bodies.
- 'Namekian Toad' (from above and not to be confused with the toad you get on Earth, which is actually a frog)
The Namekian Toad is referred to in the Item menu as Turtle, which is incorrect. Plus there already is an Item called Turtle (Kame).
When you try to sell this: "Impossible! You'll need this to find the Dragonballs!". No I don't. (I get that you can't sell this, but if its a separate translation, it should say something else.)
- Launch Card. This card has a 50/50 change to do what is does. If Launch sneezes (fails) the description text says that you loose the map. This should say that you loose the card.
- When you find Nail He is referred to in all battle texts as Chiaotzu (selection menu is correct). Fake Nail is called Nail (table error)
- Dragon balls are constantly in singular tense, eventhough it should obviously be plural in most cases. If it's a spacing problem, just use Dragonballs.
- When Goku goes off and arrives at Captain Ginyu he says: "I'll be there soon!". Uhm, he's already there. (This is due to a scene (second part of the text. Translation is probably correct, just out of place)).
- When you have summoned Porunga you get to choose for either a Porunga card or a Moon/Tail card. The choices are invisible. (I think, I just pressed 'A' and got the Porunga card)
- You you want to heal a character with Dende. It appears no names are visible (empty text box), Pressing the 'A' button will eventually lead you to the character selection menu.
- When Gohan is low on health He'll occasionally goes berserk (especially below 20 HP (the he goes berserk every turn) killing everyone off).
Whenever that happens a message should say so, but the text box is empty and you have to press 'A' to continue each time.
- Currently both of Freezer's namespelling: 'Frieza' and 'Freeza' is used in this version. Without continuing an ongoing 25-year-old-discussion, I suggest you choose one or the other.
Though as a side-suggestion, lol, Official Japanese products have always been released offshore as 'Freeza'.
- Porunga Card
You can have an extra wish with this card (if you manage to hold off Freeza with Nail for 5 turns and/or do 10+ damage)
1. Make all cards KI cards. (It will also make all cards Z-Z)
2. Level-up a character
3. Reduce enemy HP. (enemy is also spelled wrong > enempy), this option does not work!
4. The 4th option is empty (invisible), but is selectable and will actually reduce enemy HP (officially it halves the enemies HP).
- PLA. (in status screen)
What does PLA. mean?
This value displays the numbers of move your character can/will make during battle (fixed per character and auto progresses per specific levels).
- Attack moves:
Each hero has 6 different attack moves (2 battle + the 'flies towards' move and 3 KI attacks depending on the number of stars)
Gohan is an exception (7 moves) due to his 'Berserk' move (which is not translated)
Each enemy has 3 different attack moves (2 battle + the 'flies towards' move and 1 KI attack)
Each boss has 4 different attack moves (2 battle + the 'flies towards' move and 2 KI attacks depending on the number of stars)
This has not been taken into account when translating (except for 'special attack' (favorite card)); also the 3rd move puts ''' in front of the char name (probably a 'to do' reminder)
So, all KI attacks display either the English name or Japanese names (again, depending on the number of stars (accompanied with different animation)).
The difference in most cases is:
1. [KI attack]
2. continues [KI attack]
3. Exploding [KI attack]
If you're not fully aware of this mechanism, I understand that when trying to translate this, these moves and names become really confusing, especially when they're not in order in text and table.
http://lucifer.s14.xrea.com/hobby/supersaiya/index.htm has extensive tables on when these are used and are called. Do not be fooled by the simple look of this site, it literally contains everything,
but uses interactive images to progress though the site in a lot of cases (especially maps) instead of using an extended index.
« Back to index