On this day in 1880...
Posted by RADSB on 6/11/2018, 8:13:30
The second known Association Football game in Luton was played at Dallow Lane. In the first game, Excelsior had won 2 0 but Rovers got their revenge on the 6th November 1880 with a 1 0 victory. |
It was a 15 a side game but played to Association Rules according to the newspaper. The F.A. rules of 1863 had specified 11 a side but clearly Luton clubs, like others across the country, played the game they liked. Both teams played the familar () 2-2-10 formation. Some familiar Luton names amongst the players. Rovers were a High Town team (only 8 forwards named in the report).
Excelsior, Goal - T. Lawrence. Backs - E. Browning and W. Smith. Half backs - G. Hinson and C. Squires. Forwards - H. Squires (captain), W. East, W. Ealing, J. Clarke, A. Spratley, W. Tearle, J. Stanbridge,, A. Hudson, E. Ellingham, A. Booth.
Rovers, Goal - F. Plummer. Backs - T. Pedder and V. Pearman. Half backs - Hodgkinson and G. Hunt. Forwards - T. Small (captain), E. Walsh, W. Boutwood, O. Booth, W. Chennets, C. Brown, E. Nott and A. Trott.