The Parker Gun Collectors Association is sponsoring a Youth Shoot to be held at the 2018 Southern Side X Side on April 28, 2018 at approximately 1:30 PM; and at the Deep River five stand facilities. This event is open to any and all young shooters between the ages of 10 - 17; and each participant may elect to shoot ANY make domestic or foreign manufactured double gun they choose. It is especially hoped that our fellow double gun enthusiasts from LC Smith, Fox, Lefever, Ithaca, Remington, the German Gun Collectors; and any and all other groups or individuals planning to shoot and/or attend the Southern Side x Side will bring their young men and ladies to participate in this first ever Youth Event.
The one and only mission of this Event is to attract young shooters to the wonderful world of double guns so that they may personally experience the fun and excitement of double gun shooting. And while new member additions are always welcome, this Event is not intended to be used as a recruiting tool for any particular organization, or as a vehicle to demonstrate that one make of side by side may be superior to another.
So if you are still blessed to have a “young’un” in your household, a grandkid, a neighbor’s kid, a niece or nephew, the neighbor kid you’re mentoring, or any other two-legged creature that stands up-right and is between the ages of 10 -17; then there’s absolutely no reason that young person shouldn’t participate, and here’s why.
There are no entry fees, and the PGCA will pay the target fees for each participant; although each participant is responsible to pay the target fees for any practice rounds they elect to shoot;
Participants aren’t required to own a double gun (in such situations adult members of the PGCA and the LCSCA are encouraged to assist in providing a gun);
Ammo is FREE as Morris Baker, owner of Classic Shotshell Co, Inc. and maker of RST labeled ammunition, has generously volunteered to provide all ammunition;
As each age group is assigned a “Class”, every young participant will have an equal opportunity to win the Top Gun award in his class;
And finally, every participant will have his/her name placed in the “hat” for the Grand Prize drawing; a 16 gauge Parker Trojan donated by PGCA member Gary Carmichael, and restored to as new condition by master gunsmith and craftsman, Brad Bachelder!
Rules are as follows:
Shooting Participants: The event is open to any youth ages 10 – 17
1) Participants may use any make Side by Side shotgun; either owned or provided on loan.
2) All participants must use the RST shot shells provided for the Event.
3) The event will be shot at the 5 stand venue.
4) Participants will be grouped according to age: 10 – 11, 12 – 13, 14 – 15, 16 – 17.
5) All participants will shoot the Event as follows: 6 targets at each of the five stations for a total of 30 targets.
6) The Top Gun in each age group or class will be awarded a trophy.
7) In the event of a tie score, scorecards will be compared and the first missed target will eliminate the shooter with the first miss; however, if the score remains tied after card comparison, a shoot-off will take place as follows: A coin will be tossed with the winner having the option to shoot first or defer, with the loser then choosing the station to be shot.
8) Every participant will have his/her name entered in a drawing for the above described Parker Trojan; said drawing to be held at the conclusion of the event.
9) All participants in the 10 – 11 and 12 -13 age groups must have an adult monitor/gun bearer standing directly behind that participant as they shoot to act as a safety monitor.
10) All participants must sign waivers and Hold Harmless agreements prior to shooting.
11) Eye and ear protection is mandatory and required to be used by all participants.
12) Participants are to observe all Deep River shooting and safety rules at all times.
The future of our cherished shooting sports heritage lies with the youth of today; so please lend your full support to this great effort, and let’s turn out those young folks!