Re: The Mockingbird and the Dandelion
Posted by Butcho on 7/20/2009, 10:00 pm, in reply to "The Mockingbird and the Dandelion"
: --Previous Message--
: Greetings all,
: The old men were sitting on the creek bank,
: fishing, when the old boy spoke up.
: I bet you guys a nickel that as Taoist we
: can agree that; " While all other
: things move spontaneously on the course
: proper to them, man has stunted and maimed
: his spontaneous aptitude by the habit of
: distinguishing alternatives, the right and
: wrong, benefit and harm, self and others ,
: reasoning in order to judge between them. To
: recover and educate his knack he must learn
: to reflect his situation with the unclouded
: clarity of a mirror, and respond to it with
: the immediacy of an echo to a sound or
: shadow to a shape."
: Chuang-tzu, who was fishing without bait on
: his hook, said, " The fundamental error
: is to suppose that life presents us with
: issues which must be formulated in words so
: that we can envisage alternatives and find
: reasons for preferring one to the
: other." Apparently nobody had shown
: Chuang-tzu how to fish and he was unwilling
: to read the book, fishing for dummies,
: written by those logical Greek geeks.
: A long long time had passed when a dandelion
: sprang up from where the old men had fished.
: As a bee sat on the yellow pedals it said to
: the dandelion, why are you so plentiful and
: so giving.
: I am only what has gone before, not this or
: that, but because I'm what you see, I am
: what you desire.
: Quotes from the book, CHUANG-TZU the inner
: chapters A classic of Tao
: Translated by AC Graham
: in peace,
: As daylight enlightened Deer Creek pu gong
: ying gazed at it's reflection upon it's
: water. But instead of seeing a dandelion it
: saw a mockingbird.
: Hello, pu gong ying said. How come you are
: my reflection?
: Greetings my friend, as you know, my ability
: to harmonize with what I encounter can
: enable me to be more than myself but
: distinct from all all others.
: But how can you look like a dandelion when
: you are a bird?
: If the water is not still, our perception of
: the experience is that of the turbulence
: and can look like anything to the mind. But
: if the water is clear and calm there is
: nothing to reflect.
: So, spoke pu gong ying, emptiness is where
: heaven resides?
: As mockingbird flew away, to some it's
: heaven, to others it's hell.
: in peace,
When water is clear and calm it accurately reflects whatever is before it.
When our mind is clear and calm it accurately perceives whatever is before it.
Message Thread | Skip to this response ↓|
- The old men and the Dandelion - gar 6/26/2009, 6:57 am
- A Bridge Between Self and Other. - Butcho 6/26/2009, 9:17 am
- Re: The Grey Chi moth and the Dandelion - gar 6/27/2009, 5:44 am
- The Wind and the Dandelion - gar 6/28/2009, 5:58 am
- The Flute player and the Dandelion - gar 6/29/2009, 4:39 am
- The Grasshopper and the Dandelion - gar 7/15/2009, 6:00 am
- The Mockingbird and the Dandelion - gar 7/19/2009, 6:45 am
- Re: The Mockingbird and the Dandelion - Butcho 7/20/2009, 10:00 pm
- Water and the Dandelion - gar 7/30/2009, 6:13 am
- Rat and the Dandelion - gar 8/1/2009, 6:14 am
- The Sponge and the Dandelion - gar 8/13/2009, 7:23 am
- The Dog and the Dandelion - gar 9/8/2009, 8:11 am
- Zen and the Dandelion - gar 10/18/2009, 5:35 am
- The Spirit in the Forest - gar 2/22/2010, 5:15 am
- The Dandelion and the Thorn Bush - gar 8/1/2010, 6:15 am
- The Humming Bird and the Dandelion - gar 8/24/2010, 8:17 am
- Re: The old men and the Dandelion - back 12/9/2012, 2:00 pm
- Re: The old men and the Dandelion - reposted 12/12/2012, 12:34 am
« Back to index