Re: The Grasshopper and the Dandelion
Posted by Butcho on 7/15/2009, 8:55 am, in reply to "The Grasshopper and the Dandelion"
: --Previous Message--
: Greetings all,
: The old men were sitting on the creek bank,
: fishing, when the old boy spoke up.
: I bet you guys a nickel that as Taoist we
: can agree that; " While all other
: things move spontaneously on the course
: proper to them, man has stunted and maimed
: his spontaneous aptitude by the habit of
: distinguishing alternatives, the right and
: wrong, benefit and harm, self and others ,
: reasoning in order to judge between them. To
: recover and educate his knack he must learn
: to reflect his situation with the unclouded
: clarity of a mirror, and respond to it with
: the immediacy of an echo to a sound or
: shadow to a shape."
: Chuang-tzu, who was fishing without bait on
: his hook, said, " The fundamental error
: is to suppose that life presents us with
: issues which must be formulated in words so
: that we can envisage alternatives and find
: reasons for preferring one to the
: other." Apparently nobody had shown
: Chuang-tzu how to fish and he was unwilling
: to read the book, fishing for dummies,
: written by those logical Greek geeks.
: A long long time had passed when a dandelion
: sprang up from where the old men had fished.
: As a bee sat on the yellow pedals it said to
: the dandelion, why are you so plentiful and
: so giving.
: I am only what has gone before, not this or
: that, but because I'm what you see, I am
: what you desire.
: Quotes from the book, CHUANG-TZU the inner
: chapters A classic of Tao
: Translated by AC Graham
: in peace,
: As the morning mist rose up from Deer creek
: pu gong ying heard grasshopper shout,
: Look how high I'm hopping dandelion, don't
: you think I'm the best hopper you have ever
: Yes grasshopper you can hop high. But does
: high hopping make you a better grasshopper?
: Yes indeed dandelion, all the other
: grasshoppers must envy my skill in hopping.
: Look, this will be my greatest hop yet.
: As grasshopper leap high in the air, crow
: flew down and swallowed him.
: Well, ant said, who was sitting on
: dandelion, if grasshopper hadn't jumped so
: high crow would have never seen him.
: Maybe, friend ant, in "leveling all
: things", when one's interest is in his
: own person he cannot equalize things. Thus,
: he has lost the charter of heaven.
: in peace,
You really do have to quit talking to yourself.
People will talk.
There are no lines of demarcation in nature. Rather, there are merely areas of confluence. No one knows where one thing ends and another begins. Our best efforts to know one thing from another amount to little more than placeholders. There are no fixed distinctions. And yet all is not One. All is a unitive one. More than one, but less than two. Magic.
Message Thread | Skip to this response ↓|
- The old men and the Dandelion - gar 6/26/2009, 6:57 am
- A Bridge Between Self and Other. - Butcho 6/26/2009, 9:17 am
- Re: The Grey Chi moth and the Dandelion - gar 6/27/2009, 5:44 am
- The Wind and the Dandelion - gar 6/28/2009, 5:58 am
- The Flute player and the Dandelion - gar 6/29/2009, 4:39 am
- The Grasshopper and the Dandelion - gar 7/15/2009, 6:00 am
- Re: The Grasshopper and the Dandelion - Butcho 7/15/2009, 8:55 am
- The Mockingbird and the Dandelion - gar 7/19/2009, 6:45 am
- Water and the Dandelion - gar 7/30/2009, 6:13 am
- Rat and the Dandelion - gar 8/1/2009, 6:14 am
- The Sponge and the Dandelion - gar 8/13/2009, 7:23 am
- The Dog and the Dandelion - gar 9/8/2009, 8:11 am
- Zen and the Dandelion - gar 10/18/2009, 5:35 am
- The Spirit in the Forest - gar 2/22/2010, 5:15 am
- The Dandelion and the Thorn Bush - gar 8/1/2010, 6:15 am
- The Humming Bird and the Dandelion - gar 8/24/2010, 8:17 am
- Re: The old men and the Dandelion - back 12/9/2012, 2:00 pm
- Re: The old men and the Dandelion - reposted 12/12/2012, 12:34 am
« Back to index