The Flute player and the Dandelion
Posted by gar on 6/29/2009, 4:39 am, in reply to "The old men and the Dandelion"
: Greetings all,
: The old men were sitting on the creek bank,
: fishing, when the old boy spoke up.
: I bet you guys a nickel that as Taoist we
: can agree that; " While all other
: things move spontaneously on the course
: proper to them, man has stunted and maimed
: his spontaneous aptitude by the habit of
: distinguishing alternatives, the right and
: wrong, benefit and harm, self and others ,
: reasoning in order to judge between them. To
: recover and educate his knack he must learn
: to reflect his situation with the unclouded
: clarity of a mirror, and respond to it with
: the immediacy of an echo to a sound or
: shadow to a shape."
: Chuang-tzu, who was fishing without bait on
: his hook, said, " The fundamental error
: is to suppose that life presents us with
: issues which must be formulated in words so
: that we can envisage alternatives and find
: reasons for preferring one to the
: other." Apparently nobody had shown
: Chuang-tzu how to fish and he was unwilling
: to read the book, fishing for dummies,
: written by those logical Greek geeks.
: A long long time had passed when a dandelion
: sprang up from where the old men had fished.
: As a bee sat on the yellow pedals it said to
: the dandelion, why are you so plentiful and
: so giving.
: I am only what has gone before, not this or
: that, but because I'm what you see, I am
: what you desire.
: Quotes from the book, CHUANG-TZU the inner
: chapters A classic of Tao
: Translated by AC Graham
: in peace,
The traveler sat peacefully on the Creek bank playing his flute, among the brilliant yellow dandelions, and felt serenity bloom.
Pu gong ying spoke up and said, how has your mind found such serenity friend?
Maybe master it's because I'm only existing in this moment, I've seem to have lost my memories. And tomorrow will take care of itself.
But i am curious master, can i forget the way?
Maybe so friend. When you have forgotten how to live you will be returned to emptiness. Like the space in the vessel you'll return to the usefulness of non-being.
Yes master, that is why this serenity blooms.
Message Thread | Skip to this response ↓|
- The old men and the Dandelion - gar 6/26/2009, 6:57 am
- A Bridge Between Self and Other. - Butcho 6/26/2009, 9:17 am
- Re: The Grey Chi moth and the Dandelion - gar 6/27/2009, 5:44 am
- The Wind and the Dandelion - gar 6/28/2009, 5:58 am
- The Flute player and the Dandelion - gar 6/29/2009, 4:39 am
- The Grasshopper and the Dandelion - gar 7/15/2009, 6:00 am
- The Mockingbird and the Dandelion - gar 7/19/2009, 6:45 am
- Water and the Dandelion - gar 7/30/2009, 6:13 am
- Rat and the Dandelion - gar 8/1/2009, 6:14 am
- The Sponge and the Dandelion - gar 8/13/2009, 7:23 am
- The Dog and the Dandelion - gar 9/8/2009, 8:11 am
- Zen and the Dandelion - gar 10/18/2009, 5:35 am
- The Spirit in the Forest - gar 2/22/2010, 5:15 am
- The Dandelion and the Thorn Bush - gar 8/1/2010, 6:15 am
- The Humming Bird and the Dandelion - gar 8/24/2010, 8:17 am
- Re: The old men and the Dandelion - back 12/9/2012, 2:00 pm
- Re: The old men and the Dandelion - reposted 12/12/2012, 12:34 am
« Back to index