[ Post a Response | The SteelNavy.Com Message Board ]
I did use vinegar as part of my initial prep- No Go Thanks everyone nt
I am pretty much done with the PE work on the Orange Hobby CV-41. In my opinion it is the most user friendly PE I have ever worked with. It is brass of a rather soft type which cuts easily from the sheets, but is not overly fragile. I didn't lose anything to damage. It is spot on in size and for me it is very well engineered. Fold lines are etched and it folds easily but will break on the third folding. There are some multi-fold parts which look daunting but went well for me (you can always cut them into simpler sections and put them back together after folding - I did this with some of the longer rail sections) On the negative side, there are NO SPARES and a lot of small parts - (60 life raft hangers which each need two folds). My biggest problem was getting paint to stick to the brass. I washed in soapy water, soaked in Wesly's, washed in lacquer thinner, then primed with Tamiya primer - on the first fold the paint came off in sheets! I stripped some sheets and sprayed with Pledge/Future before painting. This was a lot better, but still not perfect. The model is a lot of work but looks good and I have the LHA-6 model ready to go next. Thanks, John
Just spotted a new 1/700 kit will be released from Orange Hobby (at HobbyEasy site), the USS Boston CAG-1. Surprise me that it is a full hull kit.
SteelNavy.Com Home Page