[ Post a Response | The SteelNavy.Com Message Board ]
Condors and Fortresses
Posted by James Hood on June 9, 2018, 20:57:56
Not strictly a floaty-things subject but please cut some slack.
'Been reading Midway stuff this week and was once again dismayed at the total lack of success of USAAF B-17s at Midway.
Considering, the much, much less capable / martial FW 200 Condor was "The Scourge of the Atlantic" for two years and sunk hundreds of thousands of tons...
...why did not the B-17 crews of the time who were expected to take on ships, utilize the Condors' frighteningly effective, proven techniques against IJN ships?
Attempting to hit a moving, able-to-evade-maneuver, ship from a straight-course plane at altitude, using a high-altitude bombsight seems rather iffy at absolute best.
A half dozen B-17Es coming in at 500 feet, leading-abeam their targets, at dawn or dusk, multiple .50s sweeping the ships' decks and releasing bombs in a shallow dive would certainly have accomplished more than six strings of bombs hitting water 500 or more yards off the target's position, as happened at Midway.
Thoughts? Thank you.
- Read General LeMay's book, Mission With LeMay, for... - Doug June 14, 2018, 21:38:47
- Re: Condors and Fortresses...finale? - James Hood June 13, 2018, 15:28:34
- 8. July 1943: 5 Condors attack convoy from 4 000+ meters, sink 2 troopships with dumb bombs - Richard June 12, 2018, 4:40:28
- Re: Condors and Fortresses - Chris June 11, 2018, 5:34:12
- Of course, .... - Phil Gollin June 11, 2018, 1:26:00
- Re: Condors and Fortresses - Tom Surlak June 10, 2018, 21:29:15
- B-17 s successfully bombed Japanese shipping... - Mr. Sardonicus June 10, 2018, 18:01:12
- Re: Condors and Fortresses - Bill Rowe June 10, 2018, 13:10:01
- B-17 vs. B-24 range data - Jukka Juutinen June 10, 2018, 12:23:41
- Re: Condors and Fortresses - Felix C June 10, 2018, 11:57:23
- Re: Condors and Fortresses - Ray Crean June 10, 2018, 10:09:54
- Re: Condors and Fortresses - Terry Pottle June 10, 2018, 5:50:34
- Fortresses... - Randy Stone June 9, 2018, 21:12:03
SteelNavy.Com Home Page