Balance in the Bulldog
Posted by irish on 4/24/2012, 10:55 am
The overall balance in the bulldogge is of utmost importance. Each moving part should work in harmony with the others. The dog should move fluidly, almost cat-like, rather than bounding, and rabbit-like.
When viewing the Olde Bulldogge from a side view, he should not appear to be leaning forward, putting the majority of his weight on his front legs and feet. His head should be held high, viewing straight forward, not looking down. The neck of the bulldogge should transition fluidly into the topline and withers.
Legs and feet play a big role in the dogs balance, speed, power, and agility. Most Olde's do not have legs that are proportioned to thier size and weight. Legs should be thick and muscular. Thier length should correlate with body weight, body height, and body length. They should flow into thick, tightly knuckled "cat feet". Feet should orient straight. The bulldogges feet are very important. Imagine an olympic runner with flat feet. It doesn't work. Men with flat feet cannot be soldiers. A dog with improperly formed feet cannot perform very many duties, or lead a quality pain free life. Far too many breeders are breeding heavy, thick boned Olde's with straight legs and bad feet. This greatly reduces the dogs balance and longevity. People may say" My dog can run and jump just fine". I would reply "Yes, but for how long, at what age, and at what cost to the dogs overall longevity?" I am more concerned with what the dog is physically capable of at 6 or 7 years old, than at 2 or 3 years old.
85% of my puppies go into pet homes. The other 15% go to breeders, or working homes. No one wants a pet who falls apart at age 6. No breeder wants a dog who does this or produces this, and without proper structure and balance, a bulldogge wont be much of a worker. One who breeds incorrect dogs will not will not continue to be in the game after 5 years (if that). But, not until after they have put at least 100 structural and temperamental train wrecks into the world.
For correct balance, when viewing the bulldogge from the front, do not look at the dog itself persay. Look at the space in between its front legs, and the space in between the ground and the bottom of the chest. That empty space should be square shaped. Equal height to width (in that space) is a well balanced dog. If that space is rectangular, the dogs legs are too short and wide set. This dog will not have proper balance and weight distribution. He should not lean forward on his front end. This is also improper balance and shows signs of HD or weak rear structure.
Remember: Looks can be decieving! Just because a dog is muscular, doesnt mean he is strong. Just because a dog is thick, doesnt mean he is well built. Just because a dog is wide, doesnt mean he is balanced.
The bulldogge is mutation built upon mutation. I admire large, powerful, muscled up bulldogges. However, a dog without balance of form and ability is not capable of helping the breed. Balance and proportions must be the foundation upon which the bulldogge is built.
Evo born, Evo bred, when Im dead, I'll be Evo dead.