[ Post a Response | Stonecutters Island Forum ]
Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's)
Posted by Veronica Cox (nee Smith) on November 4, 2010, 12:42:26, in reply to "Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's)"
I was in Hong Kong with my parents, Colin & Mary, sister Deborah and brother Robert. We lived in 25c South Shore on our first tour (1970-72) and then 31 South Shore (bungalow) from 1975-76. I have great memories of Stonecutters Island, especially all the people that served at the MCTC and their families. As a child, I remember watching the planes come in (at just above roof-level) and the many typhoons (most memorable being Typhoon Rose)-on occasions having to be brought back to the Island from school (Gun Club and St Georges),via Sham Shui Po, on a landing craft as the sea was too rough for the walla-wallas!I remember the great community spirit, especially at Mess Do's and down at the swimming pool.Does anyone else know Mrs Wyn Robinson - she was fantastic and taught all of us to swim! Was anyone on Stonecutters when the Queen Elizabeth caught fire and eventually sank in the sea behind the island, after being refurbished? That was something I will never forget! My father took photos of the tragic event, every 30 mins,throughout the night (he was on nights at the MCTC at the time)and has a fantastic collection of photos now. When we went back for our 2nd tour, the rusted hull was being removed, but you could still see it above the waterline. I went back to Hong Kong in 1995 for a holiday but never made it back to the Island.
- Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's) - ArchinaNorth North May 7, 2012, 17:10:06
- Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's) - Gillian Swan November 21, 2011, 17:12:49
- Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's) - KEN SCOTT August 30, 2011, 19:29:47
- Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's) - KEN SCOTT August 8, 2011, 22:48:37
- Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's) - Colin Johnson November 14, 2010, 22:34:03
- Re: MCTC Stonecutters Island (1970's) - Mike Mcnamara November 4, 2010, 16:33:07
Hosted for FREE by Boardhost.
Create your own free message board!