SC Peach Festival BBQ Championship
Saturday July 15, 2017
110 Railroad Avenue, Gaffney, SC
Cherokee County Administrative Building
Judges Sign-in: 8:45 – 9:00 AM Judges Meeting: 9:00 AM
The 2017 SC Peach Festival BBQ Championship will be held along Railroad Avenue directly in front of the Cherokee County Administration building. Judging will take place in the large tent alongside the main entrance on Railroad Avenue. Judges parking will be in the large parking lot to the far left side as you face the front of the building, do not park in the lot behind the building as you may get towed.
We will be judging Butts and if organized a Ribs throw-down. The turn-in times are:
• 10 am for Butts with the first horn at 9:50 AM final horn at 10:10 AM
• 11 am for Ribs (if organized) with the first horn at 10:50 AM final horn at 11:10 AM
1. Please arrive early to allow enough time to park, find the judging tent, sign in, get your table assignment, find your seat and mingle with your fellow judges.
2. Please let us know if you will be receiving your apron or advancing to Senior or Master Judge so we can have the proper supplies.
3. If you have a family member cooking with a team at this event you are not able to sit as a judge. We have other areas where you can help.
4. No fraternizing with the cookers prior to judging. A friendly good morning or good luck as you pass by is ok but do not linger in the cooking area.
5. Be in your seat away from direct line of sight of the receiving table no later than 5 - 10 minutes before the first horn 9:40 – 9:45. Some cook teams line up by the receiving table several minutes before the first horn and your table captain may have last minute information to pass along.
6. It is HOT in July and we are judging outside; please dress appropriately for the weather and bring extra water.
7. If you are planning on taking home a baggie of BBQ bring a small cooler to keep it food-safe for the ride home.
Directions: From I-85 take either Exit 90 or 92 and head toward downtown Gaffney. Starbucks and Quick Trip are at Exit 90 . Once in Gaffney head NORTH on Hwy 29 (Granard Street); the railroad tracks should be on your immediate right. When the railroad tracks start to pull away, veer to the right to continue on Hwy 29 (Cherokee Ave). Go past the festival site (still on your right) and take the next right to cross over the tracks (E 3rd St). Warning this is an active railroad crossing; do not sit on the tracks. Once over the tracks turn right onto Railroad Ave and follow to the barricade, the parking lot will be on your left. DO NOT park behind the county admin building as you will have a long uphill walk to get to the judges tent and YOUR CAR MAY GET TOWED.
Lastly, we have 60 judges and support staff to manage; if you signed up we count on you arriving on time. If your schedule changes please let us know so we can extend an opportunity to one of the 19 folks on the waiting list. If you are running late or get lost please call, so we can get you to the event and / or reassign your duties as needed.
We look forward to seeing you at the SC Peach Festival BBQ Championship.
Michael Bohm, Marshal (864-616-4302) – Teena Bohm, Marshal (864-451-9704)