• HMS Gosling = basic training (Jan-Apr 1943)
• HMS St Vincent (Apr-May 1943)
• RAF Melksham = trade training (May-Aug 1943)
• HMS Daedalus (Aug 1943-Mar 1944)
• 761 Sqdn, RNAS Henstridge / HMS Dipper (Mar-Nov 1944)
• HMS Gosling = MONAB party (Nov-Dec 1944)
• HMS Nabberley = MONAB II (Dec 1944-Mar 1945)
• HMS Striker = maybe MSR 3? (Mar-Apr 1945)
• HMS Unicorn = maybe MSR 3? (Apr-May 1945)
• HMS Chaser = maybe MSR 5? (May 1945)
• HMS Speaker (May - Jun 1945)
• HMS Nabsford = TAMY I? (May-Oct 1945)
• HMS Daedalus (Oct 1945-Mar 1946)
These were the postings of my late-grandfather, Harry Leslie Reed, FX108781. He joined-up as an Air Mechanic 2nd Class, qualified as an Air Fitter in Aug 1943, was promoted to Leading Air Fitter (L) in Aug 1944 and finally Petty Officer Air Fitter (L) in Sep 1945.
I have recently started researching his service and would very much like to get in touch with any veterans who served in the same place at the same time as him (even if they did not know him at all). I would be most grateful if such veterans could share with me any memories, photos or papers, that can help me to piece together a picture of life with the various units/bases/vessels on which he served.
I am interested in any memories of what life was like - any particular anecdotes, as well as the day-to-day routine and activities, notable events and people, etc.
I would also like to obtain copies of any relevant photos - of individuals, groups of people, equipment or places. Naturally, I am happy to cover any costs involved.
Any assistance shall be greatly appreciated!
« Back to index