1. Check your damn messages and clear your damn inbox. I can't contact you or let you know I called. I won't text you because my office phone is a landline --- and no I'm not texting you from my cell phone when the matter is professional.
2. IF you're in a meeting --- tend to the meeting and let the call go to voicemail - that you check and clear out.
3. Leave a greeting on your damn messenger service so that I know I don't have the wrong number.
4. If you're driving - Drive.
5. For 2 and 4 -- it's not my fault that you're in a meeting or driving. Don't answer the damn thing if you can't talk. I hate calling people and stating my business and then feel like I'm the one interrupting something important.
In my cases - most of the time when I'm calling -- I'm doing the return call. A few times I'm asking for something -- but more often than not, I'm trying to help other people with what they need.... and I still have to put up with all this crap.
If cell phones are to replace landlines --- more and more contacting people will be a nightmare.
I will not give way to texting and I will not be using my personal cellphone for work and giving them access to contact me 24/7. The have my number, my extension, and my e-mail...and I check it all regularly.