With the beginning of WW II the loss of mercantile tonnage to attack by U-Boats and long range bombers became a grim reality. Lost tonnage may be replaced in several ways, but the replacement of experienced Merchant Navy personnel is quite another problem. So it came to the formation of a special Rescue Service in 1940. The ships were civil manned and flew the Blue Ensign.
Goodwin was built in 1917 by the Caledon Shipbuilding Engineering Co. at Dundee for the Clyde Shipping Co Ltd. Requisitioned in 1942 for the Rescue Service she was converted at Hull. This meant additional communications equipment, medical and sanitary installations as well as additional room for rescued survivors and more armament.
Goodwin made eight voyages and recovered in total 130 crew as well as 3 Swordfish aircrew after a ditching of their plane.
1570 tons gross
270.3 (pp) x 37.2 x 17.3 ft.
Armament after conversion: 1 – 4 in. LA, 1- 12 pdr. AA., 6 – 20 mm. AA.(Oerlikons)
C. V. Waine, Coastal & Short Sea Liners, Waine Research Publications, Wolverhampton 1999
E. C. Talbot-Booth, Merchant Ships 1943, The Macmillan Co, London 1944
A.Hague, Convoy Rescue Ships 1940-1945, World Ship Society, Gravesend 1998
« Back to index